Learn more about tooth decay so you’ll know what to do to prevent it.
Tooth decay is one of the most common issues that plagues both children and adults worldwide. Of course, this problem is completely preventable if you know exactly how to care for your smile. Our Jacksonville dentist Dr. Linda Trotter is here to tell you everything you ever needed to know about tooth decay and more!
What is tooth decay?
When your Jacksonville general dentist talks about tooth decay we are talking about the damage done to the hard outer layers of the tooth, known as enamel.
How does tooth decay form?
Our mouths are teeming with bacteria and these bacteria take some of the sugary foods and drinks that we consume and turn it into acid. This acid then eats away at tooth enamel, and because plaque is sticky it keeps the teeth in contact with this acid until decay starts to form. If you’ve ever had a cavity this is exactly what happened for your cavity to develop.
How to prevent tooth decay?
The good news is— tooth decay is preventable. And there are several measures you can take to make sure that your smile doesn’t have to suffer from tooth decay.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with ADA-approved fluoridated toothpaste
- Floss your teeth once a day
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet that is low in sugar and unrefined carbs
- Visit us every six months for routine checkups to make sure your smile is free of cavities, gum disease or other issues
- Talk to us about fluoride treatments or sealants as a way to protect susceptible teeth from decay
Need to schedule your six-month cleaning? This is one of the best things you can do to prevent tooth decay or to catch a dental issue early. Don’t hesitate to turn to our Jacksonville dental office today for the care your smile deserves.
For any questions or additional information please call our office at
|Monday:||7:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Tuesday:||7:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Thursday:||7:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Friday:||7:30 AM - 12:00 PM|